Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Location: St. Paul, MN.
Compensation Range: $25 to $30.76/per hour. Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
As part of the Audience Insights team at Minnesota Public Radio (MPR)/American Public Media’s (APM), the Insights Associate will have the opportunity to meaningfully contribute to the organization by providing insights across the organization. This position consults with and provides reporting, analysis, and actionable recommendations to a variety of departments, including MPR brands (News, Classical and The Current), APM (Marketplace, APM Studios, and APM Reports) and regional and national membership.
In this role, you will be responsible for translating business needs/opportunities into learning plans, designing, and executing audience research. Applying a high level of interpretation to research results to drive decision making will be imperative. Insight Associate will work closely with the Insight managers to drive growth in audience reach & loyalty, relevance, and revenue.
- Serve cross-functional teams as a business partner, proactively identifying opportunities across an array of syndicated and primary sources by leveraging audience insight and intuition to guide business decisions.
- Inspire audience led decision making, using insights to inform content creation, programming, messaging, creative development, and all other touchpoints.
- Lead quantitative and qualitative projects, both independently and in conjunction with Insights Managers, including designing research, integrating a variety of data sets, conducting analysis, and communicating insights to business teams
- Help cross-functional team meet revenue growth goals, by identifying insights to increase membership and giving opportunities
- Help the Insights function in driving APMG’s digital transformation through audience understanding, measurement, and marketing guidance.
- Assist organizational understanding of audience insights that will lead to growth and retention of BIPOC audiences.
- Support audience-guided innovation process from understanding audience needs to assessing potential of ideas to optimization of near final products to closing the loop with launch tracking and analysis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1-2 years of work or internship experience in Marketing, Insights, Analytics, or related field required.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Passion for the APM | MPR mission.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to synthesize and deliver insightful information.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret large amounts of data from disparate sources.
- Well-organized, with exceptional attention to detail & follow through.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter.
- High degree of integrity, ethical decision-making & sound business judgment.
- Ability to learn new applications as required.
- Ability to work with many stakeholders, balancing priorities.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Broad research expertise including research methodologies/techniques and best practices including innovation and communication, qualitative and quantitative custom research, and experience leveraging syndicated services (e.g., Nielsen Scanner and Panel Data).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Tableau or a similar data visualization and exploration tool.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.